The transition of an existing version of SAP S/4HANA to a newer version must be done meticulously, depending on your business and industry's requirements.
Here are a few insights to help keep things in check:
- Review release notes and identify key impact areas based on the solution implemented:
- For example on the Commodity Code Functionality on S/4HANA 1809, SAP changed the way the relevant code is stored in the database level. Before 1809, the Commodity Code was stored in MARA table and was maintained in basic data view of the material master. As a result, if this information is captured in custom made reports or used as reference data in intrastat reports in previous S/4HANA versions, these changes will impact the way data is retrieved when upgrading to 1809.
- Regression testing of the entire solution post upgrade
- Ensure to cover all end-to-end scenarios during regression testing, including all variants
- Document all changes done to overcome possible issues within the key impact areas for future reference as a best practice